Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Best Strategy Ever!

By far the most boring class I’m taking this semester is Strategy. It’s incredible how all my classmates focus in this class for an hour and half twice every week. Strategy, namely Management, is a seemingly interesting and engaging topic, with various exciting case study discussions. But for some reason, staying awake in that class is a goal I strive for every Tuesday and Thursday.


However, this week we’re talking about international business and building global relationships. We often hear about the benefits of outsourcing and engaging in international trade. Most companies, in interest of cutting costs, understand the vital need to outsource and offshore certain activities that aren’t a part of their core competencies. However, companies need to keep in mind the strategic goals of the business, because going global may or may not align with their vision. Ultimately, if a company isn’t strategically performing according to their core values and goals, no matter how much the company expands globally, it still isn't performing in the interest of their shareholders. As “textbookish” as this all sounds, it is true. If a company doesn’t run itself according to its values and doesn’t aim for a speciic goal, the company as a whole will not survive in the long run.


This is also true in our everyday lives. If we don’t constantly evaluate ourselves and reflect on our purpose for living, then how can we say we are the salt and light of the world? If we don’t align ourselves and clearly understand the purpose of why God created us, then why is it that we call ourselves Christians? I have to admit, I constantly battle with this. I often stumble on keeping this in my mind and in my heart. I often slip away into fighting earthly battles, trying to figure out how I can plan “a strategy” for my career. I always ask “Where do I want to work? Where do I see myself establishing a career?” I need to keep reminding myself to spend my quiet time with God, opening my ears to let him speak to me, instead of me asking him for MY goals and dreams.


I don't need some strategy class to tell me how to achieve success, the only "strategy" I need is to wholeheartedly depend on my Father in heaven.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like this post a lot. to think that we as individuals are like corporations as well... i guess you should be more like ORTV (j/k)

re: outsourcing and expanding; we're still trying to figure out why the SC model isn't latching on as well as we thought in places like South Korea or China... thoughts?